Tuesday 2 July 2013

a side note - venezuela.

So I'm happy enough to have relatives abroad. And it has nothing to do with emigration. AFS allowed me to have a sister en Venezuela. Even more, Maria's mum, seeing me for the first time, already called me her Latvian daughter, so I guess now I have more uncles, aunties, cousins and grandmas than ever. And, since I've been in the same continent for 3 months already, why not drop by this paradise of sun, palm trees, mangoes and friendly venezolanos?

And I did!

The trip actually began a day earlier than planned. For your information, June 21 00:20 means the night between the 20th and the 21st, not the day after. Too bad Maria didn't think like that, and I, the superexcited tourist from Latvia, literally rushing through the arrival gate in Caracas international airport... didn't see anybody waiting for me. Two hours later, with the help of some random (and awesome) people, I was on a taxi (trying not to think of the tourist kidnapping stories heard before) taking me somewhere. Well, all was fine, just as it should've been.

I wish we had had more time exploring Caracas. It is a huge and loud city, filled with the rhythms of reggeaton and cars passing by. For some reason everybody thinks it's also an immensely dangerous city, and driving around the centre was the only way to see some more of it.



A startling difference from other cities was that, instead of swearwords and street art, the graffiti's consisted mostly of Chávez, Capriles or Maduro, just showing how absurd the situation sometimes is. It seems obvious to everybody that the writings with Maduro or Chávez are actually government propaganda, and by judging how fine and well - done they are, I must agree.


We spent the most time in the East of the country, where Maria comes from. I mean, what else is there to need, if you live in the city famous for two natural parks, and your neighbourhood is just ridiculously rich of mangoes and coconuts?






It was actually so hot we spent most of the days indoors. I mean, +35 constantly? You can't be serious.

The highlight came at the end. The only thing that was missing at the shore of the Caribbean was Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow. Because it had everything else, cold beer at the beach included.




The trip, however, wasn't marked by the sights, the hot weather and sun. It was Prāta Vētra, soļanka, Laima, "kur ir mana lidmašīna" and beautiful memories that will go down in history.

Nos vemos en Letonia, māsiņ!

No comments: